Just like if you were preparing to get pregnant, it is important to prepare your body — and your eggs — for the egg freezing cycle and egg retrieval.
What are some things you can do to get your body and your eggs in the best shape? Here are some sugestions:
- If you smoke, stop. There are studies suggesting that smoking causes premature depletion of eggs and premature aging of the ovary. And it can damage the eggs too.
- Get to a healthy weight. Being overweight can affect ovulatioin, as can being underweight. Find out the weight range and body mass index (BMI) that is healthy for your height and try to achieve that.
- Eat a healthy diet. Healthy, fresh, organic food is a good choice. Eat a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables with plenty of nutrients and antioxidants, and lean proteins. Whole grains, brown bread, beans, seeds and nuts are good choices. This helps to make sure you are getting the right vitamins in the right amounts.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid caffeinated drinks and alcohol. There are studies that suggests caffeine reduces the number of eggs retrieved.
- Exercise wisely. Moderate exercise is good, but if you work out intensely, talk to your fertility doctor about whether you should decrease the intensity and duration of your workouts.
- Get plenty of sleep. Eight hours each night.
- Try to reduce your stress levels. Mind-body therapies may help with this.
Above all, if you have any questions about what you should or shouldn't do during your egg freezing cycle, talk to your fertility doctor.